With Sheffield Wednesday welcoming Ben Heneghan and David Stockdale to Hillsborough, and with Jack Hunt agreeing fresh terms, the Owls can start to grow more confident about the season ahead.
Darren Moore will be hoping to continue adding to his squad ahead of the new campaign, with promotion the ultimate target when the end of July comes around.
One player who will seemingly not be staying at Hillsborough for the new season, who was offered a new deal by the League One outfit is Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.
Answering whether it was a surprise for him to see the winger reportedly opt against signing a new contract at Hillsborough, Carlton Palmer said: “Maybe it was one of those that was an agreement that he would come to help them get promoted, and they didn’t get promoted.
“He is 30, and if he has got the opportunity to play higher, then you know, his chances of that are going to be limited with his age.
Quiz: Can you name which club these 27 ex-Sheffield Wednesday players are playing for now?
“So, that might be one of the reasons but I am surprised that he has chosen not to take up that option.”
It will be interesting to see what the next move is for the winger now, with Mendez-Laing certainly possessing the ability to cut it at Championship level once again.
A report from the Sheffield Star, just after their season came to an end, claimed that a host of unnamed Championship clubs were interested in making moves for him, however, nothing else has surfaced since then.
Should that initial interest still be there, then it would be no surprise to see Mendez-Laing back in the second tier, because as Palmer says, it is difficult to know whether these opportunities may arise again.