Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Connect with us

FLW Rewind

‘St. Steve Evans’ – There was unbridled joy abound as Rotherham United made history



Steve Evans came into the Rotherham hot-seat with the remit to get them out of League Two, and he did that at the first time of asking, finishing second to win promotion to League One, but the appetite for more was unwavering.

After promotion the year before, Evans had already written his name into the annals of history at the New York Stadium.

But there was still more to come – the Scot was not content with one promotion – he had a thirst for more successes.

As with any club going up from the fourth tier to the third, the gap is pretty small, and teams tend to fare well upon their promotion – and Rotherham were no different.

The Millers had a storming season on their return to League One – they were riding the crest of a wave.

Momentum plays a huge part in football, and Evans’ side had that in abundance.

Having lost only eight times in the 2013/14 campaign, winning 24 of their matches, Rotherham missed out on an automatic spot to the Championship and had to settle for a fourth-place finish and a place in the play-offs.

After seeing off Preston North End in the two-legged semi-final, the Millers were on their way to Wembley.

They would line up at the national stadium on May 25, 2014, when they would go up against third-place Leyton Orient.

It was a momentous day at Wembley, but it got off to the worst possible start. 

After just 34 minutes, the London club took the lead, Moses Odubajo opened the scoring to give them a slim advantage.

It would go from bad to worst for Rotherham five minutes later.

The scorer then turned provider, as Odubajo coaxed in the box and fired a low cross over to Simon Cox who doubled Orient’s lead.

It looked like the game was done – it certainly had that feeling to proceedings with everything the London club did coming off – they were in total control.

That’s how it would stay at the break with the swarms of Rotherham supporters dejected at their side’s first-half performance.

Just like the first 45 minutes, however, there were two goals in five minutes, this time in favour of the Millers.

An Alex Revell brace restored parity – one of his goals was a speculative effort that turned out to be a world-class long-range finish that sent the Rotherham supporters into delirium.

After 90 minutes the game was all square and stayed level during extra time, too. 

After a 46 game season and three post-season wars, Rotherham’s season was to be decided by a dreaded penalty shoot-out.

With the score 4-3 to Rotherham, Chris Dagnall stepped up for Orient to potentially put them level and allow the game to continue.

But what happened would be a moment in time that the thousands of Rotherham supporters that were in attendance having that ‘I was there’ feeling.

The penalty was saved, and Rotherham had won a second-successive promotion after an unprecedented campaign.

The lasting imagine would be Steve Evans running down the length of the touchline as the Millers would go on to reach the Championship after years in the lower leagues of the EFL.

It was a moment that saw the Miller’s fans react with pure ecstasy at completing a stunning double promotion.

It was a day in the recent history of Rotherham United that is a standout moment for the club and has been a source of joy.

The reaction was priceless, and the comeback win was even more so. It was indeed a day to remember for all involved with the Millers.

ScoopDragon Football News Network

Article title: ‘St. Steve Evans’ – There was unbridled joy abound as Rotherham United made history

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: