Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Connect with us

Match Reports

Oxford United 1-2 Swindon Town: FLW reports as Robins stun U’s to record first A420 Derby league win since 2001



Swindon Town managed to secure their first league victory over Oxford United in the A420 Derby since 2001 after a last-gasp comeback sealed a huge three points for John Sheridan’s side.

Two goals in the last five minutes from Robins duo Thomas Broadbent and Tyler Smith condemned Oxford to a historic defeat, in which they looked comfortable after taking a first-half lead through Matty Taylor.

There was an early scare for the home side after six minutes as Leeds United loanee Jordan Stevens found himself in behind the Oxford defence but he skewed his shot wide.

However that early scare for the U’s seemed to galvanise them and they began to assert their authority and a few moments later, Liam Kelly chipped a free-kick aimed towards Matty Taylor, who then turned and smashed it on the volley goalwards but Kovar expertly palmed it away for a corner

The increasing Oxford pressure finally proved it’s worth in the 14th minute, as the bustling Liam Kelly won the ball well in midfield and sprayed a pinpoint through-ball towards Matty Taylor who found himself one on one with Kovar, in which he then dinked it superbly over the goalkeeper.

Once more, Liam Kelly found himself at the heart of all things going forwards for the home side and he struck a fizzing effort towards the Swindon goal from 25-yards, but Kovar managed to parry it away for a corner.

The latter stages of the first half saw the U’s carve out the more clear-cut chances and just before the stroke of half-time, the goalscorer, Matty Taylor, should have made it 2-0 but from three yards out, the Oxford-born striker somehow managed to skew his shot wide of the post.

The second half started with a relatively low-profile and both teams were cancelling each-other out in the middle of the park.

The first genuine chance of the second half emerged in the 70th minute as U’s defender Ruffels met a corner from Liam Kelly but his header was stopped on the line, before the referee blew for an infringement.

John Sheridan’s side certainly grew into the game as the second half progressed, with substitute Jack Payne livening up the visitors.

And, with six minutes to go in the second half, the Robins managed to grab an equaliser through Thomas Broadbent.

The goal came as Broadbent reacted first to Matt Smith’s blocked cross and fired into the goal on the turn as the ball bounced through the Oxford box.

Then, quite astonishingly, just minutes later, Swindon Town took the lead as Tyler Smith’s glanced header found its way past Eastwood.

The result means it’s Swindon’s first league win over Oxford since 2001 and pushes them above the U’s and into 16th position in League One.

ScoopDragon Football News Network

Article title: Oxford United 1-2 Swindon Town: FLW reports as Robins stun U’s to record first A420 Derby league win since 2001

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: