Newcastle United are said to have rejected a bid for Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth, with Sky Sports News reporter Mark McAdam delivering the news via Twitter earlier today.
The Magpies are said to have informed the Cherries that they are not looking to sell the player this month, after weeks of speculation linking the winger with a return to the South Coast.
Of course Ritchie previously turned out for the Championship side between 2013 and 2016 and is said to have been keen on returning to his former stomping ground this window.
Newcastle have rejected Bournemouth’s bid for Matt Ritchie and have told the cherries he won’t be leaving the club this window.
— Mark McAdam (@markmcadamtv) February 1, 2021
However it now appears that the 31-year-old is set to stay put after Steve Bruce and the wider Newcastle hierarchy made their stance abundantly clear on the player’s future.
7 of these 18 facts about Bournemouth boss Jason Tindall are fake – Can you identify which ones aren’t true?
The Scotland international currently has two years remaining on his current contract with the North East club and has made 11 appearances across all competitions this season.
Bournemouth simply have to put this move for Ritchie behind them and perhaps turn their attention to other targets.
It was always seemingly something of a pipe dream to bring the fan favourtie back to the Vitality and for that reason I think many people never expected this to happen anyway.
The Cherries have already made some shrewd signings and will be looking to continue to mount a charge for promotion as we move into the second half of the campaign.
It will be interesting to see if Jason Tindall does indeed make any last minute moves for players between now and the end of the window, as there is still time for business to be conducted.