Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Connect with us

Sky Bet League One

Match Report – Gillingham 1-0 Wolves



Late drama at the Priestfield Stadium led to Gillingham earning a very important three points, against a Wolves team who have only won three of their last ten games in Sky Bet League One.

The first half belonged to Wolves, with Gillingham seeming content in letting the Midlands side pile on the pressure.


McDonald secures a precious three points for the Gills

Sam Ricketts had an early fourth-minute shot, but put it comfortably wide of Stuart Nelson’s goal.

Kenny Jackett’s team continued to create chances – James Henry whipped in a delicious ball into the edge of the six-yard box. Michael Jacobs made contact at full-stretch, but his effort went straight into the waiting arms of Nelson.

Wolves continued to dominate with attacking midfielder Kevin McDonald firstly going close, but saw his first-time effort blaze over Nelson’s crossbar.

With McDonald turning provider, the next chance fell to Bakary Sako, who couldn’t get a clean strike away after stretching for his team-mate’s looping ball.

Jacobs drew another save out of Nelson who pulled off a smart save after the Derby loanee had got the better of a couple of Gillingham defenders.

With no attempt of note in the first period, Gillingham needed to pick it up. With this in mind, Charlie Lee seemed to take it upon himself to do this in the opening exchanges. His right-footed shot was miscued and flew over the crossbar.

Next up it was half-time substitute Bradley Dack who became provider in a game of many chances. Dack got the better of the defender and played the ball into the unchallenged Cody McDonald, who saw his shot saved by third-choice keeper Aaron McCarey.

After a quiet first half from Peter Taylor’s side, the shyness seemed to switch to the away side.

In front of a faithful away following, Sako had a go from outside the box with a left-footed shot that went over the bar.

With perhaps the best chance of the whole evening, Danny Kedwell showed strength to break free from a pressuring defender and then saw his skilled shot from the outside of his right boot hit the upright.

80 minutes in and still the deadlock had been broken. Even when stoppage time came into play there were still no goals.

With one last throw of the dice, Jake Hessenthaler delivered a corner into the danger area. No Wolves man could clear the ball and they were punished when the ball broke to an unmarked McDonald, who made no mistake in converting his left-footed shot from close range to break Wolves’ hearts.

Elation for Taylor and his side. The win lifts the Gills up to 14th, five points clear of the bottom four. Wolves stay in second after the defeat.

ScoopDragon Football News Network

Article title: Match Report – Gillingham 1-0 Wolves

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: