There has been no indication as to why the 24-year-old has been suspended by the Blades, but brief statement by the club said: “Procedures are being followed and no further comment will be made until the completion of these actions.”
Baxter was suspended in May last year for failing a drugs test in which he received a five-month ban by the Football Association but three of those months were suspended meaning his could resume his career immediately.
The forward later told the Daily Mail the reason he has failed the test was because he had a drink spiked with an ecstasy tablet whilst on a night out.
Then in December, Baxter was disciplined by the South Yorkshire outfit for a ‘incident’ which the club refused to specify the nature of what that incident was.
The Liverpudlian joined Sheffield United in a £500,000 deal from Oldham Athletic in August 2013 and has gone on to score 20 goals in 88 appearances for the Blades.
Baxter began his career at Everton and was tipped for stardom after becoming the Toffees’ youngest ever player after making his debut at the age of 16.
But things didn’t work out for the former England youth international at Goodison Park and he left the club in the summer of 2012 in order to search for first-team football.
The Blades, under Nigel Adkins, are pushing for a play-off place in League One this season and currently sit in 9th place, just five points off 6th-placed Millwall.
After losing to Bury in midweek, Adkins’ side are looking to bounce back as they face Port Vale at Bramall Lane this Saturday.
What do you make to the news Sheffield United fans? What should the club do with Jose Baxter? Let us know in the comments section below!