Swansea City striker Oli McBurnie says he has returned to pre-season training a better player, and he feels capable of reaching greater goalscoring heights next term.
This came after The Sun’s claim earlier this week that the Blades had tabled a bid worth £10million for the striker who scored 24 goals in 44 appearances last season.
McBurnie led Swansea’s front line as they secured a 10th-placed finish in the Championship last season, but he says he now feels a better player and is determined to better last season’s record.
“I feel a better player, that was really my start as a senior player for the Swans and to play every week in the Championship was a great step for me,” he told the club website.
“I definitely understand the physical demands of the league an awful lot better, I know what it feels like to play Saturday, Tuesday and Saturday.
“It’s just all the little details that add up, I feel like a better player, a more rounded player and a more accomplished player.”
These comments suggest McBurnie is very much committed to Swansea, and he is clearly working under the impression he will be at the club next season.
This will come as a huge boost to Swansea who cannot afford to lose another key figure after the exits of Graham Potter and Daniel James, as McBurnie’s goals were vital for Swansea last season.
Swansea should be looking to receive a fee close to £20million for McBurnie’s services, which is why I think the Blades may be priced out of a deal for the 23-year-old.
These quotes suggest McBurnie is focused on the task at hand, and he is not likely to be distracted by interest from the Premier League. He will be keen to repay Swansea for the faith shown in him last term by spearheading their efforts next season.