Ian Holloway answered Twitter’s questions last night, and revealed his regret at taking the Millwall job in 2014.
‘Ollie’ is one of football most likeable characters, and last night he held his very own Q&A on Twitter which, unsurprisingly, got fans commenting their questions for the Bristolian.
One fan asked Holloway, ‘if you could turn back time, would you have done anything differently at Millwall’ and he replied with an honest answer:
I probably wouldn't have signed for them. I needed a rest. It wasn't good for them and it wasn't good for me. I came out of Palace and needed a rest. Once I'd kept them up, I should have left that summer. We had 84% of the budget spent, and in all honesty I wasted the other 16%. https://t.co/9ML32ahAzF
— Ian Holloway (@IanOllie7) October 1, 2019
Holloway joined Millwall in January 2014 having left Crystal Palace in the October previous after less than a year in charge at Selhurst Park.
The Lions were 21st at the time of his appointment, one point and one place above the Championship relegation zone. In his first half-season at The Den, Holloway guide Millwall to 19th-place in the Championship.
A decorated Football League manager by this time, having successful spells with the likes of QPR, Plymouth Argyle and Blackpool, went into his first full season in charge of Millwall in the 2014/15 campaign.
Things started slowly and he soon found his team toying with relegation again. In March 2015 though, after 14 months in charge and five defeats from six games, Holloway’s contract was terminated by the club and current boss Neil Harris took over for the remainder of the season.
What happened in 2015 is water under the bridge, although some Millwall fans still hold feeling of resentment towards Holloway.
To publicly state that he wished he never signed for Millwall is some statement, though it is no less than what we expect from the colourful Holloway.