Derby County assistant head coach Paul Simpson says the club are working hard to strengthen the squad ahead of next season.
Derby have made two signings already with Goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell and attacking midfielder Alban Bunjaku but are to be involved in the under 21’s squad and are to be developed for the future.
The rams have been linked with a number of high profile players after being placed high up in the favourites for promotion next campaign. Scott Sinclair of Manchester City and Ross McCormack of Leeds United are speculated to be strong links to join Derby.
Simpson said ”Although there hasn’t been a hell of a lot going on so far, there’s been plenty of work going on behind the scenes. There are conversations with agents and players and we are trying to make sure we have a good enough squad to try to do at least the same as we did last season.”
If it’s not for the start of pre-season, we’ll look to get it sorted out for the opening game on August 9. Our focus is on getting players in who are going to make us even better than last season.” Simpson added.
Derby have had a £1 million pound bid for West Brom midfielder George Thorne, who impressed every at Derby County last season in a loan spell. West Brom manager Alan Irvine is keen to hold onto the 21 year old.
A reported £1 million pound bid for Middlesbrough striker Lukas Jutkiewicz has been rejected.