Rumours circled over the weekend and were picked up on by Andrew Barclay, who had been linked with a takeover before the Danish businessman bought the club in September 2020.
Rumours of #cafc being up for sale (again) already are unfortunate.
I fear this will be a constant cycle until the stadium & operating club are under the same ownership umbrella.
This is the fault of the authorities who’s negligence is enabling the destruction of our game
— Andrew Barclay (@andrewdbarclay) May 2, 2022
Barclay added that the rumours were further evidence that “radical reform and regulation” was needed to save English football.
However, Sandgaard has told South London Press that suggestions he wants to sell the club are wide of the mark.
He said: “That’s hilarious.
“No, not for sale. Must be someone wanting the fans to think there’s not stability in the club.”
The Addicks narrowly missed out on the top six in the first season of Sandgaard’s tenure and finished the 2021/22 campaign in 13th after battling at the wrong end of the table for periods.
If the south London club are to launch another promotion push next term then the Danish businessman will surely have to back Johnnie Jackson in the transfer market in the upcoming window.
This should be a relief for Charlton fans, who have been through the wringer when it comes to ownership issues.
The last thing they need is another drawn-out takeover saga so Sandgaard’s straight denial is certainly a positive.
That said, the club has not made the steps forward under his ownership that fans will have wanted to see and you can understand if they’re a little frustrated on the back of the 2021/22 campaign.
They’ll want to see Sandgaard pump some money into the squad over the summer because next season is going to be another very competitive one in the third tier.