Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Connect with us

Charlton Athletic

Charlton Athletic transfer round-up: Ex-Southampton player linked, Bazanu snub revealed, Mo Eisa update

Published

on

Nigel Adkins’ Charlton Athletic have already completed one of the signings of the summer so far in League One, securing a permanent deal for Preston North End’s Jayden Stockley who will be more than a sufficient replacement for Chuks Aneke.

Two other arrivals have joined Stockley this summer, with Craig MacGillivray and George Dobson joining from third-tier rivals Portsmouth and Sunderland.

All three sides look set to be in the League One promotion race next term alongside the likes of Ipswich Town and Lincoln City, in what looks to be a very competitive 2021/22 campaign.

20 questions about some of Charlton Athletic’s biggest ever moments in their history – Can you score full marks?

1 of 20

In what year did Charlton win the FA Cup final?

The Addicks lost just one of their last 15 league games in the previous season and under Nigel Adkins, look like a force to be reckoned with.

Their poor form in the middle stage of the term turned out to be the killer for the south-east London side, missing out on the playoffs only on goal difference.

But with three arrivals through the door and another few likely to come in before the end of August, they will be prepared to go one further in the next 12 months and perhaps secure their return to the Championship.

With this, we take a look at some of the latest transfer developments coming out of The Valley in recent days.

Sims on his way?

Oct 6, 2019; Montreal, Quebec, CAN; New York Red Bulls midfielder Josh Sims (20) and Montreal Impact defender Jukka Raitala (22) battle for the ball during the second half at Stade Saputo. Mandatory Credit: Eric Bolte-USA TODAY Sports

Former Southampton winger Josh Sims has been linked with a move to The Valley by The News over the past week, with the 24-year-old reported not to be training with south-coast side Portsmouth after becoming a free agent.

Sims went out on loan to Reading, New York Red Bulls and Doncaster Rovers during his time with the Premier League side – but despite being tipped to go on to great things in his early days at St Mary’s – has failed to unleash his potential ever since.

And after coming through Southampton’s youth system, he was finally released this summer as he tries to find a new permanent home.

With last season’s loanee Liam Millar joining Swiss side Basel earlier this month, ruling out another loan deal for the Canadian, Sims could be a useful and cheap replacement for Nigel Adkins to have if the manager can get the best out of him.

The 24-year-old is also being linked with a move to Portsmouth though, so they may have to move quickly on this one.

Outlet reveals goalkeeper snub

Soccer Football – International Friendly – Qatar v Ireland – Nagyerdei Stadion, Debrecen, Hungary – March 30, 2021 Ireland’s Gavin Bazunu during the warm up before the match REUTERS/Bernadett Szabo

Manchester City goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu has revealed he chose Portsmouth over the likes of Charlton Athletic and other previously interested sides because of Danny Cowley’s style of play.

Speaking to Portsmouth-based outlet The News, the 19-year-old said: “I spoke to Danny (Cowley) on the phone a couple of times before I made the decision, he said all the right things to me.

“They were really positive things about how he wanted to play and how I’d be able to help the team.

“It was a really exciting prospect, which is why I chose to come here.

“I had a few other options such as Ipswich, Charlton and Burton, but for me this felt like the right move.”

This is the type of thing Adkins should put on the dressing room wall next season as they look set to compete with Pompey for League One promotion.

However, are Addicks fans really that bothered by this? They have poached the south-coast side’s keeper Craig MacGillivray for free this summer so their goalkeeping department is sorted, unless they want to bring in another stopper to compete with Ashley Maynard-Brewer for second choice.

MacGillivray turned out to be one of Danny Cowley’s best players last season and with this experience under his belt, Charlton may prefer to have the Scottish keeper over a talented but inexperienced Bazunu.

Club not in for Eisa

Soccer Football – League One – Peterborough United v Accrington Stanley – Weston Homes Stadium, Peterborough, Britain – March 27, 2021 Peterborough United’s Mohamed Eisa celebrates scoring their sixth goal with teammates Action Images/John Sibley.

The Addicks are yet to launch a bid for Peterborough United’s Mohamed Eisa, according to South London Press journalist Richard Cawley.

Although Jayden Stockley has arrived from Preston North End, with Conor Washington another option the club can utilise, Chuks Aneke’s departure to Birmingham City has left Adkins craving another forward.

32-goal striker Paul Mullin has emerged as another option and could be a reasonably cheap deal to conclude with his contract expiring at Cambridge United this summer.

But with Eisa reportedly being subject of interest from Charlton in January according to Peterborough’s Director of Football Barry Fry and the south-east London side’s manager stating he wants to see more players come in, this has only gone on to increase speculation about a possible move.

If they miss out on Mullin, this is a potential transfer to look out for with Jonson Clarke-Harris and Jack Marriott leaving the 27-year-old out in the cold at London Road.

Their promotion to the Championship wouldn’t have done his first-team chances any favours either.


A 21-year-old Reading FC fan and writer who is set to graduate from the University for the Creative Arts in the summer. Other topics written about include politics, mental health and education.

ScoopDragon Football News Network

Article title: Charlton Athletic transfer round-up: Ex-Southampton player linked, Bazanu snub revealed, Mo Eisa update

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: