Steve Gallen has been appointed as Charlton Athletic’s new Director of Football, ending his time as Head of Recruitment.
The club announced the news on Friday afternoon, and Gallen’s new role will make him solely responsible for the club’s transfer negotiations.
It is the first significant staff change at the south London club since East Street Investments’ takeover last week, and Chairman Matt Southall expressed his delight at the appointment of the 46-year-old.
“We took a bit of time evaluating where the strengths and weaknesses are at the club. From my initial conversations with Steve, I knew he was someone that was going to be integral with us coming in,” he said.
“He’s shown me in the short time I’ve been here that he can deal with the agents and the clubs and this title gives him authority.”
QUIZ: Can you name every Charlton top goalscorer from the last fifteen seasons?
Gallen will now have full control over the club’s transfer strategy going forward, and will look to make additions to the squad this January.
“It’s something the chairman and I have been talking about for a few months since I first met him and for it to be officially announced is a really nice thing,” Gallen told the club website.
The 46-year-old had served as the club’s Head of Recruitment since joining the club in 2017.
He was also briefly on the Board of Directors at the club from September 2019 until January of this year.
Charlton currently sit in 19th place in the Championship, and take on West Bromwich Albion at The Valley this Saturday.
This move by the club is the first step to tie down two of the most important figures at the club – Gallen and Bowyer.
Being the Director of Football at the club will give the 46-year-old more control over transfers and recruitment than he had previously, and is only good news for the club.
The fans will now want to know about Lee Bowyer, and if the Addicks boss has signed a new deal to stay on at The Valley.