Leyton Orient have confirmed on their official website that they have refused Cardiff’s request to speak to Russell Slade about the vacant managerial position at the Welsh club.
Slade had been widely regarded as the favourite to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Cardiff, after the former Manchester United striker left the club last week.
But following reports of talks between the two clubs over the weekend, Orient confirmed on Monday night that they had blocked Cardiff’s approach for the 53-year-old.
“On Friday morning we were contacted by a lawyer close to Cardiff City and Russell Slade, who asked us to give permission for Cardiff to talk to Russell,” a club statement said.
“That evening Russell asked the club for permission to talk to Cardiff. On Saturday the general manager of Cardiff approached us in order to again ask permission to talk to Russell.
“In all cases, we denied Cardiff the permission and we did not authorise Russell to talk to Cardiff.”
Just over a week ago Slade was holding crisis-talks with Orient owner Francesco Becchetti, and was told that he was on the brink of being sacked after a poor start to the season.
The former Brighton boss confessed to the BBC that he had been given one game to turn things around or he would be relieved of his duties.
But since Solskjaer left Cardiff, Slade has been the surprise favourite for the role and has revealed his pride at being linked to the post.
It is now unknown whether or not the Bluebirds will make a third attempt to lure Slade away from Brisbane Road after being knocked back twice.
Other candidates for the role include former Celtic boss Neil Lennon and current caretaker manager Danny Gabbidon.