Blackpool manager Lee Clark has revealed he’s already talking to ‘five or six’ transfer targets ready to revamp his team for League One football.
Blackpool were relegated a few weeks ago when Rotherham beat Brighton and Hove Albion 2-0. Contract talks began at the club last week, with only three or four players of the current squad expected to stay for next season.
Lee Clark’s wish-list contains five players for each position, he told the Blackpool Gazette, as he prepares to put his spin on his Tangerines side.
He said: “We have spoken to the agents of five or six players and offered deals.
“It’s hard to say how close they are because until they are done anything could happen. But we have five or six deals we are really pushing on with.
“Some players want to sit tight and wait for better offers. But don’t come to Blackpool as a last resort – I won’t allow that.
“If that’s the case, I will just move on to other targets. I won’t be hanging around waiting for players because I have four or five for every position.
“I’m trying very hard to get as many players in as possible for June 29 (when pre-season training begins). It’s going to be tough but I’ve done it before.
“I’m not expecting to have my full squad but I’m hoping to have at least three-quarters, then be able to add a few in July when the market hots up a bit.
“We may have to be patient with one or two.”
Clark is taking a different approach to transfers at Bloomfield Road this year, after the panic at the club last summer, where they only had eight players a week before the Championship season began.
It seems the former Birmingham boss is looking to get his deals done early this year, in a bid to mount a promotion push and get an immediate return to the Sky Bet Championship.
Blackpool are rock bottom of the table having amassed a meagre 25 points this season.